Wards and Branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vineyard, Utah County, Utah
Vineyard has traditionally been an agricultural settlement between the bench of Orem and Utah Lake. In recent years, the population and the Church has grown in this area; the original area of the Vineyard Ward now includes two stakes and parts of several others, as well as Utah Valley University.
Church Units and Boundaries[edit | edit source]
Wards and Branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vineyard, Utah County, Utah:
- Stake(s): Utah Stake (1899-1929), Sharon Stake (1929-)
- Before the Vineyard Ward was created, the Vineyard area was part of the Provo 3rd Ward (1852-1877), then Lake View Ward (1877-1899)
- Vineyard Ward (1899): The city of Vineyard and northwestern Orem (now mostly industrial). Extending north to somewhere around Provo Canyon Road (Orem 800 North) or Geneva Road (Orem 1600 North), west to Utah Lake, south to what is now Orem 800 South, east to roughly the rim of the bench (between Orem 800 W and Orem 1200 W).
Obtain the Records[edit | edit source]
- List of ward records. of Wards and Branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vineyard, Utah County, Utah in the FamilySearch Library.
- List of ward records
at the Church History Library, catalogued as LR 9817.
Other History Resources
Many wards or branches appointed members to compile a history. Copies may be in the ward library or in homes of members. Some contain biographical sketches of members of the ward at the time of compilation.
History Timeline[edit | edit source]
This timeline (arranged by year) includes events that affected records, record-keeping, and movements of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in this area.
- 5 June 1877: Provo 5th Ward (later Lake View Ward) is divided from the Provo 3rd Ward, including the very few settlers in the Vineyard area. During this time there may have been a dependent Lake View North Branch.
- 24 December 1899: Vineyard Ward is divided from the Lake View Ward.
- 15 September 1929: Sharon Stake is divided from the northern part of Utah Stake.
References[edit | edit source]
Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p 915.
- Online through BYU Books. (Free) In the Text search box, type the town or unit name and click Go. Select page numbers (tiny) at the right to see the page.
- Also available through Ancestry.com ($).