Waltham Abbey, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Waltham Abbey, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Waltham Abbey, Essex|
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Edmonton|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Waltham Abbey, or West-Holy Cross (St Lawrence), is a small town, a township, and a parish, in the district of Edmonton and county of Essex. The town stands on the River Lea, it is 1 mile E of Waltham Cross railway station and 12 miles NE of London. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. The parish also contains Holyfield, Sewardstone, and Upshire hamlets.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Waltham Abbey parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Waltham Abbey Online Parish Records|
Non-conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Adapted 15 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.