Württemberg Archives and Libraries
|Württemberg Major Record Types|
|Reading the Records|
|Additional Württemberg Record Types|
|Local Research Resources|
|Germany Record Types|
Lists of Civil Archives[edit | edit source]
Church records or duplicates may have been gathered from the local parishes into central archives, either by the churches or the state. Older records are frequently given to these archives for safekeeping. Some gaps in the church records of local parishes could be filled using these records.
- Pdf Archive Inventory: "Part 1 of 2: Church records in Archives" - is an inventory of localities and the location or archive where their records should be found. The sixth column, "Archives", gives a number. To find the name and contact information, look up that number in the second column of this .pdf: Part 2: Archive Addresses. It is not clear how up-to-date this inventory is.
Some archives offer searches for a fee. Archives might be unable to handle genealogical requests, but they can determine whether they have specific records you need, sometimes perform very brief research, such as just one record, or they may recommend a researcher who can search the records for you. Archivists are required to speak English.
E-mail[edit | edit source]
- You can e-mail archives and ask whether they have records for a parish. Also, you should inquire whether they provide research services and what their fees are. You can communicate with the archives in English.
Lutheran Archives[edit | edit source]
Many records are digitized and online at Archion. However, digitizing the records is not complete. For records held by these archives but not yet digitized, you may wish to visit the archives.
Landeskirchliches Archiv in Württemberg
Balinger Str. 33/1
Tel .: 0711-2149-373
- Inventory of holdings
- Family Research page Also includes information on research requests and recommended professional researchers.
Catholic (Katholische) Archives[edit | edit source]
Diocesan Archives Rottenburg (Württemburg)
Phone: 07472 - 169305
State Archives[edit | edit source]
- In the left sidebar:
- Click on "Structure view with search" in the left sidebar. This will bring up an alphabetical index by letter of the parishes covered.
- Click on the "+" sign before the letter to find a list of parishes for that letter.
- Click on the name of your parish.
- In the main article"
- Scroll down to find the type of register (baptism, marriage, or burial) and the time period needed.
- Click on the "Permalink" to bring up the images.
- Some areas of Württemberg have deposited their books at district archives. This is mostly the case with Catholic church records. For many places duplicate records for the time frame 1808 to 1875 are located in the State Archive of Ludwigsburg.
State Archives Ludwigsburg Arsenal
Phone: 07141 / 64854-6310 (Lesesaal -6337)
Fax: 07141 / 64854-6311