Virginia, Petersburg, Gillfield Baptist Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Virginia, Petersburg, Gillfield Baptist Church Record, 1827-1906
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Petersburg, Dinwiddie, Virginia, |
|Flag of Virginia|
|Location of Petersburg, Dinwiddie, Virginia|
|Location of Virginia|
|Gillfield Baptist Church, Petersburg|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains an index and images of church records from the Gillfield Baptist Church located in Petersburg, Virginia for the years 1827 to 1906. The church records include membership records, baptisms, marriages and deaths.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The records in this collection may include:
- The name of the person being baptized,the date, and sometimes the age
- The name of the deceased person and the date
- Marriage record, spouse, and date
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know the name of your ancestor and date of event.
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Virginia, Petersburg, Gillfield Baptist Church records, 1836-1954. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- Be sure to check carefully for there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Virginia.
- Virginia Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
- United States, Church Records, 1600s-the Present
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.