|Vermont Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Vermont genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Major Vermont periodicals are:
- Across the Border 1988-. Published by Diana Hibbert Bailey, Carlton Place, Ontario. This quarterly contains abstracts of census, vital, church, and cemetery records for the northern Vermont counties of Essex, Lamoille, Chittenden, Caledonia, Grand Isle, Franklin, Washington, and Orleans and the eastern townships of Quebec. FHL book 971.4 D25ab. There is a surname index in each volume.
- Branches and Twigs 1972–1995. This source is continued by Vermont Genealogy. Published by the Genealogical Society of Vermont, P.O. Box 1553, St. Albans, Vermont 05478. This quarterly published queries; abstracts of census, marriage, Bible, cemetery, and church records; diaries; genealogies; and ancestor and submitter lists. FHL Book 974.3 B2br. An all-name index is planned.
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register 1847–. Published by the Society, 101 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116. This quarterly includes genealogies, abstracts of vital and church records, local genealogical histories, and New England source material. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL book 974 B2ne; on 40 Family History Library films beginning with FHL Film 599167.
- Vermont Genealogy 1996-. Published by Genealogical Society of Vermont, St. Albans, Vermont. This source continues in part in Branches and Twigs. This quarterly includes queries, genealogies, book reviews, family histories, and abstracts of Bible, church, and marriage records. FHL book 974.3 D25v. There is a name and place index.
- Vermont History 1954–. This quarterly magazine was called Proceedings of the Vermont Historical Society from 1860 to 1943 and the Vermont Quarterly from 1944 to 1953. Published by the Vermont Historical Society, Pavilion Office Building, 109 State Street, Montpelier, Vermont 05602. It has book reviews and articles on the history and development of Vermont. FHL Book 974.3 H25vaa.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Vermont periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Vermont-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.