Vermont Church History
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Vermont Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Historical Background[edit | edit source]
Baptist[edit | edit source]
For a history of the Baptist church, see:
- Crocker, Henry. History of the Baptists in Vermont. Bellows Falls, Vermont: P. H. Gobie Press, 1913. Digital version: FamilySearch. Paper or film versions: (Family History Library film 1033832 item 2; fiche 6051223.) Other libraries with this book (WorldCat). This book includes an index.
Congregational[edit | edit source]
For a history of the Congregational churches in Vermont from 1762 to 1914, see:
- Comstock, John Moore. The Congregational Churches of Vermont and Their Ministry, 1762–1914, Historical and Statistical. St. Johnsbury, Vermont: Caledonian, 1915. Digital version: Internet Archive. Book and filmed versions:(Family History Library FHL book 974.3 K2cc; film 874201 Item 3, and fiche 6046853.)] This book includes historical information and is arranged by town.
Episcopal[edit | edit source]
- Historical Records Survey (Vermont). Inventory of Church Archives of Vermont, No.1, Diocese of Vermont, Protestant Episcopal. Montpelier, Vermont: The Survey, 1940. (Family History Library book 974.3 K23h; fiche 6006639.) This book also includes a historical sketch of each parish or mission.
Universalist and Unitarian[edit | edit source]
- MacDonald, Edith Fox. Rebellion in the Mountains: The Story of Universalism and Unitarianism in Vermont. Concord, New Hampshire: New Hampshire Vermont District of the Unitarian Universalist Association, 1979. (Family History Library book 974.3 K2m; film 0974420.) This book relates the history of these religions and their coming together. It shows societies in each county and lists the names, dates, and locations of the ministers’ churches, including the names of the laymen who were involved. It includes an index.
References[edit | edit source]
- William Chamberlin Hunt and United States Bureau of the Census, Religious Bodies: 1906 (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1910), Vol. 1:365. Digital version at Google Books.