Vermont, Passenger Lists - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Vermont, Passenger Lists, 1895-1924
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|Flag of the United States (1891-1896)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Group||RG 85: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service|
|Microfilm Publication||A3402. Manifests of Alien Arrivals at Newport, Vermont, Ca. 1906 - June 1924.. 8 rolls.|
|M1462. Alphabetical Index to Canadian Border Entries through Small Ports in Vermont, 1895-1924.. 6 rolls.|
|National Archives Identifier||4992476 4477069|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of two National Archive Microfilm Publications. The first is a Name Index to admission arrivals at the ports of Norton,Island Pond, Beecher Falls, Highgate Springs, Swanton, Alburg, and Richford. Also entries and departures at St. Albans and Canaan. The name index is from NARA Publication Alphabetical Index to Canadian Border Entries through Small Ports in Vermont, 1895-1924. M1462. The second consists Manifests (60,000) of Alien Arrivals at Newport, Vermont, ca. 1906–June 1924 from NARA publication A3402. Both are part of Record Group 85 Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add the new information to your records
- Use the information to find the person in other records
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Try searching by surname only
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Vermont.
- Beginning Research in United States Immigration and Emigration Records
- Beginning Research in United States Naturalization Records
- Vermont Guided Research
- Vermont Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- St. Albans District manifest records of aliens arriving from foreign contiguous territory : records of arrivals through small ports in Vermont, 1895-1924. M1462
- Vermont, Orleans County, Newport, manifests of alien arrivals, 1906-1924. NARA A3402
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- Vermont, St. Albans Canadian Border Crossings, 1895-1924.
- United States Border Crossings from Canada to United States, 1895-1956.
- United States, Border Crossings from Canada to United States, 1894-1954.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.