Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Vermilion Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Vermilion Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana, United States Genealogy
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 25, 1844|
|Address||100 N State St.|
Abbeville, LA 70510
About the Courthouse (Vermilion Parish Clerk of Court Website)
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the Vermilion River and Bay. The County has Abbeville as its seat and the County was created 1844. The County is located in the south central area of the state.
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
About 1885 Courthouse suffered a total record loss.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill at 24-7 Family History Circle.
- When the Records are Gone. By Arlene Eakle at Arlene Eakle's Tennessee Blog.
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana African American Griots Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
- Vermilion Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Index to Vermilion Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Biography of Joseph Willis (LAGenWeb)
- Vermilion Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Vermilion Parish cemeteries.
Census[edit | edit source]
- Index to Vermilion Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana, by city (Church Angel)
- Vermilion Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
- Vermilion Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Vermilion Parish History (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Vermilion Parish Miscellaneous Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Maps[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- USGW Digital Map Collection (USGenWeb Archives)
Military[edit | edit source]
War of 1812[edit | edit source]
- List of Soldiers from Vermilion Parish (LAGenWeb)
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1917-1920 - Louisiana World War I Service Records, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Honor LIst of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, Vermilion Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Newspaper List, listing by name/parish (USNPL)
- Louisiana Newspaper listing (Newslink)
- Vermilion Parish News Extracts (Genealogy Trails)
- Vermilion Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Index to Vermilion Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Vermilion Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Births[edit | edit source]
- 1850 - Vermilion Parish Births (Genealogy Trails)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Index to Vermilion Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1870 Mortality Index - Persons who died during the year ending June 1, 1870, in the Vermillion Parish, State of Louisiana. (Genealogy Trails)
- 1911 - Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, Death Certificates For the Year of 1911 (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Vermilion Parish Deaths (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Vermillion Genealogical Society
PO Box 117
Abbeville, LA 70511-0117
- Vermilion Historical Society
PO Box 877
Abbeville, LA 70511-0877
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Vermilion Parish (LAGenWeb)
- Vermilion Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Vermilion Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Vermilion Parish, Louisiana" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Vermilion Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Vermillion Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Vermilion Parish, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion_Parish,_Louisiana, accessed 8 January 2020.