User:Kmnwestbye/Sandbox Northern Ireland
|Northern Ireland Wiki Topics|
|Northern Ireland (post-1922)|
|Historic Ireland (pre-1922)|
|Ireland Research Resources|
Online Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places
- Gazetteer of North Ireland Gazetteer of North Ireland, FamilySearch International
- Ireland Political Geography (National Institute) Ireland Political Geography (National Institute), FamilySearch International
- The Parliamentary gazetteer of Ireland : detail of the census of 1841 The Parliamentary gazetteer of Ireland : detail of the census of 1841, FamilySearch international
- Alphabetical Index to townlands and towns of Ireland 1871 Alphabetical Index to townlands and towns of Ireland 1871, FamilySearch International
- Links to other online gazetteers and place name guides
- Directory of cities, towns, and regions in Ireland
- Ireland maps and gazetteer
- Geographical index to jurisdictions
- Northern Ireland Street Directory
- Irish local names explained
- Meanings of Irish place names
- The IreAtlas Townland Data Base
- A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
- Census of Ireland, Index of Townlands, 1901 Census of Ireland 1901
- Places in the north of Ireland
- Historic Sites in Northern Ireland, 1895
- World Gazetteers at Archive.org
Print Only Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Census of population of Northern Ireland, 1926 : topographical index, printed and presented pursuant to the provisions of 15 and 16 Geo. V., ch. 21 Census of population of Northern Ireland, 1926 : topographical index, printed and presented pursuant to the provisions of 15 and 16 Geo. V., ch. 21, Belfast, Ireland : His Majesty's Stationery Office, 1947, c1929
- Éire Thuaidh = Ireland North : a cultural map and gazetteer of Irish place names Northern Ireland - a cultural map and gazetteer of Irish place names, Belfast, Ireland : Northern Ireland. Department of the Environment, c1988
- General alphabetical index to the townlands and towns, parishes and baronies of Ireland : based on the census of Ireland for the year 1851 Ireland General Registrar, General alphabetical index to the townlands and towns, parishes and baronies of Ireland : based on the census of Ireland for the year 1851, Baltimore, Maryland : Genealogical Publishing Company, 1984
Why Use Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
A gazetteer is a dictionary of place-names. Gazetteers list or describe towns and villages, parishes, states, populations, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. Within a specific geographical area, the place-names are listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary. You can use a gazetteer to locate the places where your family lived and to determine the civil and religious jurisdictions over those places.
There are many places within a country with similar or identical place-names. You will need to use a gazetteer to identify the specific town where your ancestor lived, the state the town was or is in, and the jurisdictions where records about the person was kept.
Gazetteer Contents[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers may also provide additional information about towns, such as:
- Different religious denominations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Major manufacturers, canals, docks, and railroad stations
- The population size.
- Boundaries of civil jurisdiction.
- Ecclesiastical jurisdiction(s)
- Longitude and latitude.
- Distances and direction from other from cities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Denominations and number of churches.
- Historical and biographical information on some individuals (usually high-ranking or famous individuals)