|Banffshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society
164 King St.
Aberdeen AB24 5BD UK
Telephone: 01224 646323
Website: Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society
Website #2: Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society
Website #3: Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society
- The Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society exists to assist and promote the study of genealogy and family history based on the North-East corner of Scotland. This area covers the old counties of Aberdeenshire, Banffshire, Kincardineshire, and Morayshire. We also hold records for the whole of Scotland and a considerable amount of data on the rest of the U.K. as well as many places around the world where Scots can be found, which I suppose includes the whole world.
Family History Society of Buchan
22 Harbour Street
Peterhead AB42 1D UK
Telephone: 01779 238416
Website: Family History Society of Buchan
Website #2: Family History Society of Buchan
- The Society promotes and supports the study of genealogy and family history research within the historic area of Buchan. The Buchan area dates back to the Middle Ages and encompasses the North East of Scotland from the River Deveron in the west to the River Ythan in the south.
- This is a Family History Society serving the Buchan area of North Aberdeenshire and East Banff. Especially Ellon, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Banff and all points in between.
The Moray Burial Ground Research Group
Elgin IV30 1HS UK
Website: The Moray Burial Ground Research Group
Website #2: The Moray Burial Ground Research Group
- Our voluntary group was formed in 2003 with the task of surveying every burial ground in Moray, which also includes part of the old county of Banff. This is a monumental task as there are some 140 burial sites, both public and private to be studied!
Local Societies[edit | edit source]
Banff Preservation and Heritage Society
Banff AB45 1DL UK
Website: Banff Preservation and Heritage Society
Website #2: Banff Preservation and Heritage Society
- Banffshire Field Club was established in 1880 and 130 years later, its members continue to uphold the objectives of its founders: "to explore the district ... inquiring into its Geology, Botany, Natural History, Archaeology ..."