|Angus Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
- Abertay Historical Society was founded in 1947 and promotes interest in the history of Dundee, Angus, Fife, and Perthshire. The Society organises public lectures in Dundee and elsewhere in the Abertay area on a variety of historical topics, as well as occasional special events including guided tours and conferences. We also support the work of other local heritage organisations.
Tay Valley Family History Society
179-181 Princes Street
Dundee DD4 6DQ UK
Telephone: 01382 461845
Website: Tay Valley Family History Society
Website #2: Tay Valley Family History Society
Website #3: Tay Valley Family History Society
- TVFHS Research Centre remains one of the principal centres of Family History Research in the Tay Valley area, which comprises the counties of Angus, Fife, Kinross, and Perthshire.
Local Societies[edit | edit source]
- Carmyllie Heritage Society was founded in 2009 with the purpose of exploring and recording the rich history of Carmyllie in Angus and to raise public awareness of Carmyllie as a source of historic value.
Forfar & District Historical Society
East and Old Parish Church Hall
38-40 E High St
Forfar DD8 2EG UK
Telephone: 01307 463666
Website: Forfar & District Historical Society
Website #2: Forfar & District Historical Society
- To foster among the people of Forfar and district an interest in the history of the area in which they live.
- The objects of the Group are to promote for the benefit primarily of the population of Kinnettles Parish in the County of Angus, the study and conservation of the life, heritage and history of the parish, and to educate the wider public to an appreciation of the above, by way of publication, exhibition, or the like.
Monifieth Local History Society
55 High St
Monifieth DD5 4AA UK
Telephone: 01382 530355
Website: Monifieth Local History Society
Website #2: Monifieth Local History Society
Website #3: Monifieth Local History Society
- The Monifieth Local History Society was formed late September 2000 to act as a society catering for residents interested in the collection, researching, and presenting of material connected with Local History in the Monifieth Area.
Montrose Basin Heritage Society
Website: Montrose Basin Heritage Society
- Montrose Basin Heritage Society was formed in 1999 to promote the study and understanding of the natural and historical development of the Montrose Basin area.