United States War of 1812 Rifle Units
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Introduction[edit | edit source]
United States Rifle Units[edit | edit source]
Officers, p. 43-45.
A list of the companies for each regiment, except the 2nd, is on the NARA website.
- 1st Rifle Regiment - men from Louisiana, Mississippi Territory, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana Territory, New York, and Vermont
- 2nd Rifle Regiment - men from Ohio and Tennessee
- 3rd Rifle Regiment - men from Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina
- 4th Rifle Regiment - men from Pennsylvania
United States Ranger Units[edit | edit source]
Officers, p. 45-46.
- 17th U.S. Regiment of Rangers
- 35th Infantry Regiment - alleged Ranger designation
Records and Resources[edit | edit source]
- Fredriksen, John C. The United States Army in the War of 1812: Concise Biographies of Commanders and Operational Histories of Regiments, with Bibliographies of Published and Primary Sources. (Jefferson, North Carolina c2009). 303 pages. FHL Book 973 M2
- Gordon, William A, A Compilation of Registers of the Army of the United States, from 1815 to 1837..., (Washington: James C. Dunn, 1837), Digital version: Internet Archive with Rifle Regiments officers by regiment, Recruiting Districts, states in each Military District, list of General Staff, Lineal Rank officers, and the West Point staff and cadets.
- Heitman, Francis B. Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army, From Its Organization, September 29,1789 to March 2, 1903, (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1903). Digital version: Internet Archive. Abbreviations, vol. 1, page 9. Army organization, vol. 2, page 560. Artillery and Engineer Regiments, vol. 1, page 50. Forts and soldiers homes, vol. 2, page 475. Battles, vol. 2, page 280, 298, 301, 391. Cavalry Regiments, vol. 1, page 65. Dragoon Regiments, vol. 1, page 79. Fencibles and mounted riflemen, vol. 1, 143. Infantry, vol. 1, page 81. Legion, vol. 1, page 139. Rangers and riflemen, vol. 1, page 141. Voltigeurs and Sea Fencibles, vol. 1, 143. War with Great Britain, vol. 281. Officers of Regular Army, killed, wounded, or taken prisoners, vol. 2, page 13. Quartermaster's Department, vol. 1, page 40. Record and Pension Office, 1892, vol. 1, page 45. Topographical Engineers, vol. 1, page 43.
- My Military History Research Interests, Rifle Regiments - officer sketches (blog) has brief biographies of some officers, as well as links to other useful sites, such as U.S. Riflemen_1808-1821 - illustrations links. Also Rangers in the War of 1812. (accessed 30 April 2012)
- Segelquist, Dennis,The United States Rifle Regiment Of The War Of 1812 (blog) has partial rosters for the regiments. (accessed 30 April 2012)
References[edit | edit source]