United States Census State Censuses
State censuses were often taken in the years between the federal censuses, such as 1875 or 1892. For some states these exist from about 1825 to 1925. State census records may be found at state archives, state historical societies, state libraries, the Family History Library, or on the Internet.
Copies of many state censuses are on microfilm at the Family History Library. The Family History Library's most complete collections of state censuses are for Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. However censuses exist for the following states also: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming. State, colonial, and territorial censuses at the Family History Library are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under "STATE - CENSUS RECORDS"
State, Territorial, and Colonial Censuses[edit | edit source]
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Uses[edit | edit source]
State census records may help fill in the gaps in the years between the federal censuses. State census records may have asked different or unusual questions which may give additional information on the family.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
There are fewer indexes for state censuses than for federal censues. Indexes for state census records vary. You may find the following types of indexes:
- No index
- Surname index
- Heads of house and strays index
- Every name index
- Soundex or Miracode index
- Reconstructed index
- Town, county, or state index
- Multi-volume or multi-year indexes
When indexes exist they are usually mentioned in the same place you find the reference to the state census.
Additional Reading[edit | edit source]
- State Census Records (FHL 973 X2Lai) WorldCat entry by Ann S. Lainhart is a state-by-state list of censuses, and selected census substitutes. It describes dates, coverage, content, indexes and availability.
- State Census Register 3 vols. (FHL 973 X23us) Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library-Vol. 1, FamilySearch Digital Library-Vol. 2, FamilySearch Digital Library-Vol. 3.
Related Content[edit | edit source]
- Gary Toms, State and Special Census Records. (36 minute online video).
- Loretto Dennis Szucs, and Wright, Matthew, Finding Answers in U.S. Census Records. (Orem, Utah: Ancestry, 2001). FHL 973 X27s. WorldCat entry.