United States, New England Passenger and Crew Lists - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
United States, New England Passenger and Crew Lists, 1911-1954
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Connecticut, Massachusetts & Rhode Island, |
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1908-1912 (46 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Passenger and Crew Lists|
|Record Group||RG 85: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service|
|Microfilm Publication||A3468. Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Providence, Davisville, Melville,Newport,Quonset Point,and Tiverton, Rhode Island; Fall Ri9ver,Massachusetts; and New London, Connetcicut, Aug 1918-Nov 1954. 28 rolls.|
|Arrangement||Chronological in five parts|
|National Archives Identifier||4051444|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains passenger and crew lists from vessels arriving at various ports in New England from 1911-1954. It corresponds with NARA Publication A3468: Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Providence, Davisville, Melville, Newport, Quonset Point, and Tiverton, Rhode Island; Fall River, Massachusetts; and New London, Connecticut, Aug. 1911-Nov. 1954.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for United States, New England, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1911-1954.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Passenger / Crew lists
- Name of ship
- Port and date of arrival
- Port and date of embarkation
- Position in ship's company
- When and where joined the crew
- Able to read and write
- Height, weight, and physical impairments
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate age of your ancestor
- The place where your ancestor lived
- The names of family members and their relationships
If you do not know this information, check the census records after 1900.
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the BrowsePage:
- Select the NARA Roll Number - Contents to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at United States, New England Passenger and Crew Lists, 1911-1954. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor on a passenger or crew list, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
You can use passenger lists to:
- Request a federal immigration record
- Learn an immigrant’s place of origin
- Confirm the date of arrival
- Find records in his or her country of origin
- If your ancestor had a common name, be sure to look at all the entries for a name before you decide which is correct
- Continue to search the passenger lists to identify siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same or other generations who may have immigrated at the same time
- If your ancestor has an uncommon surname, you may want to obtain the passenger list of every person who shares your ancestor’s surname if they lived in the same county or nearby. You may not know how or if they are related, but the information could lead you to more information about your own ancestors
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names
- Search for a naturalization record to find the date of arrival
- Locate immigration information on census records after 1900
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the United States.
- Beginning Research in United States Naturalization Records
- Beginning Research in United States Immigration and Emigration Records
- United States Guided Research
- United States Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- Connecticut, passenger and crew lists, 1804-1959
- Massachusetts, Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1891
- Massachusetts, Boston Passenger Lists, 1891-1943
- Massachusetts, Index to Boston Passenger Lists, 1848-1891
- Massachusetts, Boston Passenger Lists Index, 1899-1940
- Massachusetts, Index to Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, 1921-1949
- Massachusetts, Gloucester Passenger and Crew Lists, 1906-1943
- Massachusetts, New Bedford Passenger and Crew Lists, 1902-1943
- Rhode Island, Davisville, Melville, Newport, and Quonset Point, Airplane Passenger and Crew Lists, 1955-1957
- Vermont, Passenger Lists, 1895-1924
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.