Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire
History[edit | edit source]
Parish poor houses included
Ulverston Neville Hall 1753
Billincoat (Dalton parish) 1735
Coulton (pre 1777) for up to 18
Backbarrow opened 1823
Constituent parishes[edit | edit source]
The following parishes were included:
Aldingham, Lancashire, Lower Allithwaite and Upper Allithwaite see Cartmel, Lancashire, East Broughton , West Broughton Broughton in Furness, Lancashire, Blawith, Lancashire, Cartmel, Lancashire Cartmel Fell, Lancashire, Church Coniston, Lancashire, Claife see Hawkshead, Lancashire, Colton Colton, Lancashire, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire, Dendron, Lancashire, Dunnerdale-with-Seathwaite see Seathwaite, Lancashire, Egton-wth-Newland Egton cum Newland, Lancashire, Field Broughton St Peter, Lancashire Finsthwaite, Lancashire, Flookburgh, Lancashire, Hawkshead and Monk Coniston-with-Skelwithsee Hawkshead, Lancashire, Haverthwaite, Lancashire , Holme Island, Lancashire, Upper Holker and Lower Holker see Cartmel, Lancashire , Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire, Lindale, Lancashire, Lowick, Lancashire , Mansriggs see Ulverston, Lancashire, Osmotherly see Ulverston, Lancashire, Pennington, Lancashire, Rampside, Lancashire, Rusland, Lancashire , Satterthwaite, Lancashire , Seathwaite, Lancashire ,Subberthwaite see Blawith, Lancashire , Torver, Lancashire, Staveley, Lancashire, Ulverston St Mary, Lancashire, Ulverston Holy Trinity, Lancashire, Urswick, Lancashire, Walney, Lancashire, Woodland, Lancashire.
Later Additions: Angerton (from 1858), Barrow-in-Furness (from 1851), Coniston, Lancashire(from 1894) , Grange (from 1894), Haverthwaite, Lancashire(from 1927), Hawkshead (from 1894), Skelwith (from 1894).
Records[edit | edit source]
- Cumbria Record Office and Local Studies Library, Barrow, 140 Duke Street, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria LA14 1XW. Holdings include: Births register (1866-1948); Deaths register (1866-1916); Punishments register (1874-1923)
Blawith (Ulverston) Parish Records
Record contains churchwardens records, 1709-1732, 1766-1828, 1829-1840, Overseers of the poor accounts, 1726-1814, baptisms, 1728-1795, burials, 1746-1777, 1728-1743, poor money distributed, 1736-1806, account of constables, 1733-1804, marriages, 1763-1794, 1736-1763, memorandum, last wills and testaments of Mary Redhead and William Lancaster, baptisms, 1795-1812, confirmations, 1820-1838, burials, 1796-1812, marriages, 1797-1812, accounts 1820-1841, marriages, 1813-1902.
The chapelry of Blawith is in the parish of Ulverston.
Cumbria Record Office no.: BPR/I1/1/1-4
Parish registers FHL BRITISH Film 1471923 Items 7-10
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Walton, James E (1984) A History of Dalton-in-Furness (Phillimore)
Websites[edit | edit source]
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Ulverston/Ulverston.shtml