Uley, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Uley, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Dursley|
|Parish registers: 1668|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ULEY (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W.division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (E. by N.) from Dursley. The parish is situated on the road from Berkeley to Stroud and Cheltenham. 
Uley is located in the southern Cotswold Hills of Gloucestershire, about . It is Historical information for Uley is given on the following websites:
Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Uley, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ULEY PARISH Online Records|
Uley St Giles parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ULEY ST GILES PARISH Online Records|
|AC||1906-1911||1906-1911||1906-1911||1906-1911||1906-1919, 1925-1929||1906-1919, 1925-1929|
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
From 1837 until 1946, Uley was in the civil registration district of Dursley. Until 1852, Dursley was included in volume 11 of the national quarterly registers. Beginning in 1852, it was in volume 6A. These records are indexed online. See England Civil Registration.
Parish Records[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Before 1858, Uley was under the probate jurisdiction of the ecclesiastical Court of the Bishop of Gloucester. Beginning in 1858, it was under the jurisdiction of the civil Gloucester Probate Registry.
The records for 1541-1858 are indexed online in the Gloucestershire Genealogical Database. Once you have searched the index, return to the Wiki and go to the article on the Court of the Bishop of Gloucester for information on obtaining the records.
Original records are deposited at the Gloucestershire Archives.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 414-418. Date accessed: 12 March 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 16 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 20 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 24 June 2016.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' Joiner's Marriage Index, accessed 29 January 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.