Uffculme, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Uffculme, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Devon, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Tiverton|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1591|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Uffculme|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Heritage Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
UFFCULME (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tiverton, hundred of Bampton, Collumpton and N. divisions of Devon, 4¾ miles (N. E.) from Collumpton. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. Bradfield Hall, in the parish, is a perfect ancient mansion, and to which a chapel was formerly attached.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Uffculme, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|UFFCULME PARISH Online Records|
|BIVRI||1591-1695 (gaps)||1591-1673 (gaps)|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish. Also, you can look at Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Uffculme
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Uffculme on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 411-414. Date accessed: 05 November 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 19 February 2014.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Devon Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Taken from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.