U.S. Virgin Islands Census
|U.S. Virgin Islands Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- 1678 List of colonists on St Thomas, 1678 at Caribbean GenWeb
- 1783 Loyalists who fled to Jamaica (mainly from South Carolina) at RootsWeb
- 1835-1911 Danish West Indies, Denmark, Census, 1835-1911 at Ancestry — index & images, ($)
- 1841 St Croix 1841 Census at Caribbean GenWeb
- 1841 List of landowners of the 1841 St John Census at Caribbean GenWeb
- 1841-1901 Danish West Indies Census, 1841-1901 at Ancestry — index & images, ($)
- 1841-1911 Virgin Islands US, Census Records, 1841-1911 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection; index and images
U.S. Federal population schedules and indexes[edit | edit source]
Online U.S. Virgin Islands census indexes and images[edit | edit source]
|Online U.S. Federal Population Schedules for the U.S. Virgin Islands|
|Free at Some Libraries (usually with a library card)||Pay|
|Heritage Quest||Ancestry FHL ed.||Ancestry Library ed.||Ancestry Home ed.|
|1920||indexes||civilians Link military Link||Link||Link||Link|
|images||civilians Link military Link||civilians Link military Link||civilians Link military Link|
Available on Microfilm[edit | edit source]
1930. For a microfilm of the civilian populations schedules, see U.S. Virgin Islands, 1930 Federal Census: Population Schedules; NARA microfilm publications T626. (FHL film 2342402).
1920. For a Soundex index and population schedules for the U.S. Virgin Islands on microfilm, see U.S. Virgin Islands, 1920 Federal Census: Soundex and Population Schedules.
Danish Censuses[edit | edit source]
- Statens Arkiver, Dansk Data Arkiv, "St. Croix Census Records" in Dansk Demografisk Database [Internet site] at http://www.ddd.dda.dk/soeg_stcroix.html (accessed 20 April 2009). Shows names, sex, age, address, census year, and sometimes relaitonships or occupations for 1850, 1855, 1857, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1901, and 1911.
- Danmark, Rentekammeret (Vestindien), Census records, 1841-1911 (Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed for the Genealogical Society of Utah, [1965?]) [on 71 FHL films starting with 039199] Text in Danish and English. Danish Virgin Islands census schedules for 1841, 1846, 1850, 1855, 1857, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1901, and 1911.
- Gary T. Horlacher, and David W. Knight, The 1688 Census of The Danish West Indies: Portrait of a Colony in Crisis, Local Knowledge Series, vol. 2 (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands: Little Nordside Press, 1998) [FHL book 972.9722 X2h]. Based on original records by Governor of Danish West Indies.
- U.S. Virgin Islands Census, 1835-1911 (Danish Period) (Ancestry) ($)
Census Substitutes[edit | edit source]
Sources and Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- HeritageQuest has arranged with many subscribing public libraries in the United States to allow users free access on home computers by means of their personal library card numbers. HeritageQuest provides images of all surviving 1790 to 1930 federal censuses, and indexes to many but not all of them.
- Ancestry.com, a subscription site that provides online indexes and images to all surviving federal and many state census records, among other sources. They have three online editions: (1) an FHL edition free only at the Family History Library and a few Family History Centers, (2) a slightly smaller Library edition free only at some public libraries, and (3) a Home edition subscription service for individuals.
- Eastman, Dick. "US Virgin Islands Transfer-Era Documents Have Now Been Digitized," in Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter, 25 May 2016, https://blog.eogn.com/2016/05/25/us-virgin-islands-transfer-era-documents-have-now-been-digitized/.