Tutbury, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Tutbury, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Burton upon Trent|
|Registration District||Burton upon Trent|
|Parish registers: 1668|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1673; Separate records exist for Needwood Forest beginning 1813|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Tutbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Thistley Piece, Needwood Forest Allotments, Needwood Forest, Hanbury Park, Needwood, and King's Standing.
TUTBURY (St. Mary), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Burton. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Independents, and Primitive Methodists. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
See Staffordshire BMD Staffordshire BMD includes registered births for the Burton upon Trent Registration District . http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi?county=staffordshire The registration district prior to 1937 included this parish. From 1937 onwards the Lichfield district was responsible. Registers are now held at<br>The Register Office, The Old Library Building, Bird Street, Lichfield WS 13 6PN Tel. 01543 510773
Church records[edit | edit source]
Tutbury parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|TUTBURY ST MARY PARISH (1663) Online Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Independent Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|INDEPENDENT CHAPEL (1801) Online Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Tutbury, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 401-404. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 August 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8