Tuba City Indian Agency (Arizona)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Tuba City Agency or Subagency is another name for the Western Navajo Agency. It sometimes is referred to by the Tuba City name as that is the location of the agency.
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
A map of the roads on the Navajo Reservation, created in 2008, is available online.
See also Western Navajo Agency for a listing of the records pertaining to this agency.
References[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Archival Holdings, Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), Denver, Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online