Tooting Graveney, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Tooting Graveney, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Tooting Graveney, Surrey|
|County||Surrey, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Wandsworth and Clapham|
|Parish registers: 1555|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1684|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey History Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
TOOTING, LOWER, or Tooting-Graveney (St.Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Wandsworth, W. division of the hundred of Brixton, E. division of Surrey, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from London. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)). Adapted. Date accessed: 18 February 2014.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Nicholas, Tooting Graveney in Wandsworth Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Tooting Graveney in Wandsworth Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Tooting Graveney in Wandsworth Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Tooting Graveney in Wandsworth Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batch C056081, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Batch M056081, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.