Thwaite (near Alby), Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Thwaite (near Alby), Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Thwaite (near Alby), Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1562; For more records see Alby|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
THWAITE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 4¾ miles (N.) from Aylsham. 
Thwaite All Saints is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich and the Ingworth rural deanery. It should not be confused with the parish of Thwaite in the Brooke rural deanery.( Thwaite (near Loddon), Norfolk Genealogy)
Alby with Thwaite is a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The parish straddles the A140 some 10 km south of Cromer and 30 km north of Norwich, including the settlements of Alby and Thwaite For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.
The church of Thwaite, All Saints, is one of 124 surviving round-tower churches in Norfolk.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Aylsham 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Thwaite (near Alby), Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Thwaite (near Alby), Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
This parish's registers do not appear at FamilySearch Historical Records as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms 1600-1610, 1623-1633, 1665-1811 Marriages 1601-1608, 1623-1628, 1666-1808 Burials 1601-1608, 1623-1633, 1666-1812
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526781 Item 3
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/AlbyWithThwaite.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Thwaite All Saints on GenUKI
- Thwaite All Saints on A Church Near You
- British History online
- Thwaite on Norfolk Churches
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 355-357. Date accessed: 16 July 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014. Saint's dedication is not identified.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.