Theydon Garnon, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Theydon Garnon, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Theydon Garnon, Essex|
All Saints, Theydon Garnon, Essex
|Poor Law Union||Epping|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Theydon Garnon is also known as Thoydon-Garnon, or Coopersale, it is a parish in Epping district, Essex; 2 miles SSE of Epping railway station. It has a post-office by the name of Coopersale under Epping.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Theydon Garnon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Theydon Garnon Online Parish Records|
Essex Online Parish Clerks (OPC) Online images are available Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office All Saints See also St Alban Coopersale and Theydon Garnon meeting (Society of Friends) Bishop's Transcripts burials in the parish.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Society of Friends (Quaker)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Theydon Garnon on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Adapted 16 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 4 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- From: 'Theydon Garnon: Parish government and poor relief', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4: Ongar Hundred (1956), pp. 271-273. British History Date accessed: 27 January 2011.