Texas Emigration and Immigration
|Texas Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- 1844-1847 - A New Land Beckoned:German Immigration to Texas, 1844-1847 Book ($)
- 1846-1948 - Galveston Immigration Database 1846-1948, index
- 1847-1861 - A New Land Beckoned:German Immigration to Texas, 1847-1861 Book ($)
- 1893-1963 - Texas, Passenger Lists, 1893-1963 Index and images ($)
- 1896-1951 - Texas, Passenger and Crew Lists Arriving at Various Ports, 1896-1951, index.
- 1901-1917 - Galveston, Texas, Jewish Immigration Records, 1901-1917 Index and images ($)
- 1903-1910 - Texas and Arizona Arrivals, 1903-1910 — index and images
- 1903-1929 - Texas Laredo Index of Arrivals 1903-1929, index and images.
- 1903-1955 - Texas, Laredo Arrival Manifests, 1903-1955, index and images.
- 1905-1927 - Texas, El Paso Manifests of Arrivals at the Port of El Paso, 1905-1927 Images only.
- 1905-1954 - Texas, Eagle Pass Arrival Manifests and Indexes, 1905-1954 Index and images. Also at FindmyPast, ($), index
- 1906-1953 - Texas, Indexes and Manifests of Arrivals at the Port of Del Rio, 1906-1953 Images only.
- 1909-1924 - Texas, El Paso Alien Arrivals, 1909-1924 at FamilySearch — index
- 1912-1965 - Aransas, Texas Crew Lists, 1912-1965 Index and images ($)
- 1924-1954 - Texas, Manifests of Aliens Granted Temporary Admission at El Paso, ca. July 1924-1954 Images only.
- 1929-1955 - United States, Texas, Laredo, Index to Manifests of Permanent and Statistical Alien Arrivals, Dec 1929-Apr 1955 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1944-1952 - Texas, San Antonio, Alien Arrivals, May 1944-March 1952 Image only.
- 1943-1964 - Texas, Brownsville Passenger and Crew List of Airplanes, 1943-1964, index
- 1945-1952 - Texas, El Paso, Applications for Non-Resident Aliens Border Crossing Identification Cards, 1945-1952 at FamilySearch — index
- 1946-1954 - Texas, Houston Arrival Manifests of Airplanes, 1946-1954, images/no index
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild Galveston Arrivals: Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Vol. 4, Vol. 5
- OliveTree Genealogy, Ships Passenger Lists to Texas
- 1948-1959 - Texas, Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Corpus Christi, Texas, and Vicinity, June 1948-January 1959- index and images
People[edit | edit source]
The first settlers of Texas generally came from Spain, although a few Frenchmen settled in eastern Texas. Between 1821 and 1836 about 38,000 settlers came from the United States, especially from the southern states. In the thirty years before the Civil War, many European emigrants came to Texas. They were mostly Germans, Poles, Czechs, Swedes, Norwegians, and Irish. By 1850, some 33,000 Germans had settled in Texas.
After the Civil War many people left the South and went to Texas. Others came from the North Central states, especially farmers of Swedish, Polish, and Irish descent. More Europeans came at this time, including Belgians, Danes, and Greeks. Most of these settled in the cities.
Two excellent histories that include the names of families who migrated to Texas from southern states are:
Williams, Villamae ed. Stephen F. Austin's Register of Families. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1989. FHL book 976.4 W2au 1989. This is based on original records in the General Land Office and pertains to families who arrived before statehood.
Marsh, Helen and Timothy. Tennesseans in Texas. Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1986. FHL book 976.4 X2mh 1850. The information in this is based on the 1850 census.
Records of major ethnic groups are listed in the catalog under TEXAS - EMIGRATION AND IMMIGRATION and TEXAS - MINORITIES. You will find information about immigrant groups from Belgium, France, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Norway, Poland, and Sweden, as well as African-Americans, Ukrainians, and Wends. Records of Native Americans are listed in the locality search under TEXAS - NATIVE RACES and in the subject section of the catalog under the name of the tribe or language group.
Some excellent examples of ethnic sources that include lists of names are:
Hejl, Edmond H. Villages of origin (Protestant) : specific Czechs and Moravians in Texas associated with specific villages of origin in Cechy or Moravia, abstracted from the register records of the Ross Prairie, Wesley and Nelsonville Brethren Churches, 1872-1900 FHL book 976.4 F2h and FHL fiche 6125134.
Geue, Ethel H. New Homes in a New Land: German Immigration to Texas, 1847-1861. Waco, Texas: Texian Press, 1970. FHL book 976.4 W2ge.
The Spanish American Genealogical Association can be a good resource to find your hispanic ancestors, whether they came from Mexico or Spain.
Passenger Arrival Records[edit | edit source]
Many people who moved to Texas originally arrived in the United States at the port of New Orleans. The National Archives and the Family History Library have passenger lists for New Orleans dating from 1820 to 1921, with indexes to 1952.
Ships Passenger Lists, Port of Galveston, Texas, 1846-1871. Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1984. FHL book 976.4139/G1 W3s.
The National Archives and the Family History Library also have Galveston arrival lists for 1893 and 1896 to 1921 FHL films 1414827-40; 1414865-70 and indexes from 1896 to 1906 and 1906 to 1951 FHL films 1402451-60. Passenger lists and indexes are listed in the catalog under TEXAS - EMIGRATION AND IMMIGRATION.
- 1903 - 1929 - Texas, Laredo Index of Arrivals, 1903-1929 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1944 - 1952 - Texas, San Antonio Alien Arrivals May 1944-March 1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1952 - 1957 - Texas, Laredo Arrival Manifests, 1903-1955 at FamilySearch — index and images
See also Index of Vessels Arriving at:
Mexican Border Crossing Records[edit | edit source]
Numerous Mexicans came to Texas in the late 19th and early 20th century. Records of 20th century Mexican border crossings are available at the National Archives and Family History Library. These include:
- Brownsville, Del Rio, Eagle Pass, El Paso, Laredo, Presidio, Rio Grande City, and Roma, Texas, alien arrivals 1903-1909 (A3365)
- Brownsville, indexes and manifests 1905-1953 (M1502)
- Eagle Pass, chronological manifests 1905-1953 (M1758)
- Eagle Pass, alphabetical cards 1905-1929 (M1754)
- Eagle Pass, index to manifests 1929-1953 (M2040)
- Eagle Pass, mostly alphabetical manifests 1928-1953 (M2041)
- El Paso, alphabetical manifests 1924-1954 (M1757)
- El Paso, alphabetical applications for I.D. cards 1945-1952 (M175)
- Fabens, alphabetical cards 1924-1954 (M1768)
- Fort Hancock, alphabetical manifests 1924-1954 (M1766)
- Laredo, alien arrivals 1903-1907 (M2008)
- Laredo, alphabetical manifest cards 1903-1929 (A3379)
- Laredo, alphabetical manifest cards 1929-1955 (M1722)
- Progreso/Thayer, index and manifests 1928-1955 (M1851)
- Roma, index and manifests 1928-1955 (M1503)
- Ysleta, alphabetical manifests and applications for I.D. cards 1924-1954 (M1849)
- Zapata, indexes and manifests 1923-1953 (M2024)
References[edit | edit source]
A wiki article describing this collection is found at:
Texas Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.(All of the information from the original research article has been imported into this Wiki site and is being updated as time permits.)