Tejon Indian Agency (California)
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
Tejon, Tule (Tularenos)
History[edit | edit source]
The Tejon or Sebastian Agency was established in 1855, although there had been temporary agents on the Tejon Reservation as early as 1853. It operated until 1860, when the Tejon and Tule River Indians were assigned to the Southern District. By 1864, the Tejon Reservation had been abandoned.
Agent and Appointment Date[edit | edit source]
Alonzo Riddle (subagent) September 3, 1855, James R. Vineyard March 3, 1855 arrived at agency January 28, 1856 
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Some historical records of this agency, including correspondence, etc., are part of the records of the California Superintendency records.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, pp. 19-27.
- The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online