Tattersett, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Tattersett, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Walsingham|
|Parish registers: 1755|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
TATTERSETT (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Gallow, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (W.) from Fakenham. 
Tattersett All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the Burnham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
The Tattersett name derives from the old English name of Tatessete, which means Tathere’s dwelling. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as a village called Tatessete, and is said to be the land of one William of Warenne.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Walsingham 1837-1938
- Fakenham 1939-1974
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Church records[edit | edit source]
Tattersett, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Tattersett, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1760-1905||Undefined||1755-1832, 1835-1902||Undefined||1760-1909|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Tattersett.htm Tattersett transcript of 1891 census
Genealogy From Periodicals
[edit | edit source]
West, Rosalie. Matthew, Matthew, Wherefore Art Thou, Matthew? Family tree of Francis Langley and Martha Hutton married 1728, at Syderstone, with descendants spreading to Tattersett, East Rudham, Docking, and Ringstead, Wells and Fakenham. History gives details of the descendants, and the views of looking for Matthew. Surnames in the family tree are Secker, Sutton, Strike, Death, Sharp, Oughton, Claxton, Brown, Playford, Goll, Davey, Senter, Framingham, Jacob, Cremer Bussnett, and Langley. Dates range from 1728-1869 and the article is to be found in The Norfok Ancestor, old series vol.6.pt.1, pages 9-11, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j old series vol 6. pt.1 .
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Walsingham/Walsingham.shtml
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Tattersett on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- Tattersett on British Listed buildings
- Church Images
- British History online
- Tattersett on Norfolk Churches
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 303-310. Date accessed: 15 July 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.