A Vision of Britain, which claims copyright text reads:
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kimberley like this:
KIMBERLEY, a hamlet and a chapelry in Greasley parish, Notts. The hamlet lies 2½ miles NE of Ilkeston r. station, 2 E of the Erewash river and canal at the boundary with Derby, and 5¾ NW of Nottingham; and has a post office under Nottingham. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Pop. in 1861, 2, 821. Houses, 573. The property is subdivided. Framework knitting and coal mining are largely carried on; and there are two breweries and a large corn mill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £170.* Patron, the Vicar of Greasley. The church was built in 1847, at a cost of £2, 300; and the parsonage was built in 1852, at a cost of upwards of £1.100. There are chapels for Primitive Methodists and New Connexion Methodists, and a British school.