Sutton at Hone, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Sutton at Hone, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Sutton at Hone, Kent|
Sutton-at-Hone St John Kent
|Hundred||Axton, Dartford and Wilmington|
|Poor Law Union||Dartford|
|Parish registers: 1607|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SUTTON-AT-HONE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W division of Kent, 2½ miles S by E from Dartford. Here are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. 
Sutton-at-Hone St John the Baptist is an Ancient Parish which included Hawley and Swanley; the village of Hextable grew in the 1870s from a settlement and became a separate village and civil parish from Sutton-at-Hone. Hextable Wikipedia
The church of St John the Baptist Church Road Sutton-at-Hone has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Other places of worship include:
- Bethesda Baptist Church, Main Rd which dates from 1834.
- Wesleyan Chapel Main Rd, Hextable which dates from 1896.
- Wesleyan Church Ship Lane which dates from 1880.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Sutton at Hone parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Sutton at Hone Online Parish Records|
|BIVRI||1607-1756, 1841-1868 (gaps)||1608-1812|
|FS PRs||1607-1840||1607-1837; 1824-1893 (banns)||1607-1859|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Sutton at Hone are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK.
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis,Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 271-274.Date accessed: 29 May 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.