Sudbury St Bartholomew, Suffolk Genealogy
|Sudbury St Bartholomew, Suffolk|
|Poor Law Union||Sudbury|
|Parish registers: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Bishop's Transcripts: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Rural Deanery||Not Applicable|
|Probate Court||Search the courts of the surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
"SUDBURY, a parish, market town, and municipal borough, chiefly in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, but including the parish of Ballingdon-cum-Brundon, county Essex, 20 miles S.W. of Ipswich, and 7 S.E. of Clare. The Reform bounds include the old borough, containing the parishes of All Saints, St. Gregory, and St. Peter, with the extra-parochial district of St. Bartholomew's, and the [former] parish of Ballingdon, in Essex. Ballingdon was formerly a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, ½ a mile(S. W. by W.) from Sudbury. After the decay of the parochial church, the village of Ballingdon, which had been previously only a chapelry in the parish of Brundon, became the head of the parish. The inhabitants resort to the church of All Saints, Sudbury, and contribute towards the church-rate of that parish.
Sudbury is also the capital of the archdeaconry and deanery to which it gives name in the diocese of Norwich. The livings are, All Saints, a vicarage* with that ofBallingdon-cum-Brundon annexed; and the perpetual curacy of St. Gregory, with that of St. Peter annexed. The churches are of considerable antiquity. St. Gregory's, the most ancient, was collegiate until Henry VIII. sold its possessions. St. Bartholomew's was the site of a Benedictine priory. The site latterly became the property of Sir J. Marriott, by whose order the priory-buildings were taken down in 1779.
Resources[edit | edit source]
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries. For those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centres. Refer to and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalogue for available records.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Parish registers for all three of Sudbury's parishes began as early as the mid-1500's. Specifically for the extra-parochial chapel of St Bartholomew's and its church registers, it is important to note that this parochial place fell into disrepair and was completely pulled down in the year 1779. If church registers survive, be certain to contact the Suffolk Record Office, Sudbury for availability. If available, they can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. See the Suffolk Church Records article for further details.
| This section requires expansion with:
Information about parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, parish chest records, non conformist and other types of church records. Also add links to online parish collections. Make reference to records found in the FamilySearch Catalog. To locate resources, look at Suffolk Parishes in the FamilySearch Catalogue.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for general details about the census.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 132-136. Date accessed: 28 March 2013.