Stretton, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Stretton, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Burton upon Trent; Penkridge|
|Parish registers: 1659|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1678|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Penkridge|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Stretton St John is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1722 from chapelry in Penkridge Ancient Parish.
STRETTON, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Brewood, W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3 miles(S. W.) from Penkridge.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church records[edit | edit source]
Stretton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|STRETTON PARISH Online Records|
|FS||1678-1877||1692-1696, 1714-1716, 1728-1734, 1804-1837|
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Stretton, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
- England Jurisdictions 1851 Due to a map layer error Stretton has an incorrect entry relating to the township of Stretton in Burton upon Trent. This is awaiting correction (March 2011)
- Vision of Britain
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 246-250. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8