Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Gloucestershire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Stow on the Wold|
|Registration District||Stow on the Wold|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1610|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STOW-ON-THE-WOLD (St. Edward), a market town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 25 miles (E. by N.) from Gloucester, and 82 (W. N. W.) from London; containing the hamlets of Donnington and Mangersbury. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FHSO = FHSOnline - (£)|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
Stow-on-the-Wold registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stow-on-the-Wold Online Records|
Donnington registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Donnington Online Records|
|AC||1538-1630, 1680-1812||1538-1630, 1680-1812||1538-1630, 1680-1753||1538-1630, 1680-1753||1538-1630, 1680-1812||1538-1630, 1680-1812|
Nether Swell registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Nether Swell Online Records|
Non-conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Add any additional relevant sites.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 234-238. Date accessed: 04 February 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 14 February 2015.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 21 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.