Stone, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Stone, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stone|
|Parish registers: 1568|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1668|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STONE (St. Michael), a market-town and parish,and the head of a union, in the N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Stafford, and 141 (N. W. by N.)from London. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans of the Old and New Connexions.
Other places in the parish include: Normacott, Normacot, Stallington, Stoke, Tittensor, Walton, Beech, Blurton, Burston, Darlaston, Little Acton, Kibbleston, Kibblestone with Oulton, Meaford, Moddershall, and Oulton.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Stone St Michael parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|STONE PARISH (1558) Online Records|
|FREG||1741-1809, 1813-1819||1741-1808, 1813-1818||1741-1808, 1813-1819|
- Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1564-1924 Mar 1568-1912 Bur 1568-1960
- Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1668-1893 Mar 1668-1862 Bur 1668-1892 Missing marriages 1854-1855,1857,1859.
Stone Christ Church parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stone Christ Church Parish Online Records|
Oulton chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|OULTON CHAPELRY Online Records|
Cemetery Records[edit | edit source]
The following MIs were kindly contributed by Vicki Backhouse:
Some Monumental Inscriptions from St. Saviour's Churchyard located in the Aston by Stone township
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Stone, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 224-229. Date accessed: 05 November 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8