Stodmarsh, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Stodmarsh, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Stodmarsh St Mary Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Bridge|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STODMARSH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridge, hundred of Downhamford, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, 4½ miles ENE from Canterbury. 
Stodmarsh is a village in the Wickhambreaux civil parish in the Canterbury district of Kent, see Stodmarsh Wikipedia.
Stodmarsh St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Canterbury; a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you and the parish is part of the Littlebourne Benefice including Littlebourne, Kent Genealogy, Ickham, Kent Genealogy and Wickhambreaux, Kent Genealogy.
The Church of St Mary, Stodmarsh Road, Wickhambreaux has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building.
See Kent Archaeological Society and Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 142-147. Date accessed: 14 November 2013. at British History Online.
See Kent Churches history of the church.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Stodmarsh parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|Stodmarsh Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1564-1812||1564-1812||1707-1811 (Banns)||1707-1811 (Banns)||1558-1936||1558-1936|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 215-217. Date accessed: 08 May 2013.
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.