Stockland Bristol, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Stockland Bristol, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Stockland Bristol, Somerset|
|Poor Law Union||Bridgwater|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Taunton|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STOCKLAND-BRISTOL, a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset; on the coast, 6½ miles NW of Bridgewater railway station. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Stockland Bristol or Stockland Gaunts parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|STOCKLAND BRISTOL PARISH Online Records|
Baptisms of Stockland, Dorset, England (sic) for the years 1731 to 1836 are included in BIVRI.
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Date accessed and adapted: 25 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 13 February 2014.
- Somerset Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 21 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- West Country Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- West Somerset Parish Register Transcriptions, accessed 22 October 2013.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.