Staplehurst, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Staplehurst, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Staplehurst All Saints Kent
|Poor Law Union||Maidstone|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1560|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STAPLEHURST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, partly in the hundred of Cranbrooke, and partly in that of Marden, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W division of Kent, 4 miles N by E from Cranbrooke. There is a place of worship for Independents. 
Staplehurst is a large village and civil parish in the Maidstone district of Kent, see Staplehurst Wikipedia.
The Church of All Saints, High Street, Staplehurst has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building.
See Kent Archaeological Society and Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7 (1798), pp. 119-129. Date accessed: 14 November 2013.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Staplehurst parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FREL = FamilyRelatives - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|RWEB = RootsWeb - free|
|Staplehurst Online Parish Records|
Original deposited registers are held at:
Centre for Kentish Studies, County Hall, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1XX
From Spring 2012 material formerly held at
Centre for Kentish Studies, County Hall, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1XX
is available at Kent History and Library Centre see Kent Archives which also enables a search of the catalogue for Kent Archives material deposited at Canterbury Cathedral Archives
Family History Library film numbers
See also England, Kent, Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Staplehurst are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1831
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
The Parish of Staplehurst in County Kent - Genealogy and Local History.
1841 Census, 1851 Census, 1861 Census, 1871 Census, 1881 Census, 1891 Census, 1901 Census
Surname Index, Full Transcription, About the Data, Facts and Figures for the above censuses.
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
The Parish of Staplehurst in County Kent - Genealogy and Local History at:
this site includes transcriptions for Parish Registers, Census, Probate Indexes, Tithe Awards, Monumental Inscriptions, and more.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 192-195. Date accessed: 08 May 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.
- Cathy Goodwin, 'Staplehurst All Saints Parish Church Registers of Births, Marriages and Burials,' RootsWeb, accessed 13 March 2012. Includes marriage banns 1754-1809.