Stapleford, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to Stapleford, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Branch and Dole|
|County||Wiltshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Wilton|
|Parish registers: 1633|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STAPLEFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wilton, hundred of Branch and Dole, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wiltshire, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from Wilton. It is located 1½ mile NNW of Wishford railway station  
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Stapleford, Wiltshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|Stapleford, Wiltshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 192-195. Date accessed: 14 October 2013.
- Wilson, John Lewis, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72)
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 10 January 2014.
- 'Search more than 99,000 new Wiltshire parish baptism records,' findmypast, accessed 5 June 2014. Coverage year range is not clearly identified.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Wiltshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 January 2014.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.