Stamford St Mary, Lincolnshire Genealogy
Guide to Stamford St Mary, Lincolnshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Stamford St Mary, Lincolnshire|
Stamford St Mary Lincolnshire
|County||Lincolnshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Stamford|
|Parish registers: 1569|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1573|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lincoln (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Stamford at one time contained 13 parochial churches, but several in the liberties were destroyed by the northern soldiers, in 1461; and the number was again reduced, in 1538, at the dissolution of monastic institutions: under an act of parliament passed in 1547, certain parishes were consolidated, and five churches were allowed to remain. All Saints' parish contains a population of 1978; that of St. George, 1600;St. John the Baptist, 1211; St. Mary, 337; and St. Michael, 1259. The living of All Saints is a rectory, with that of St. Peter's consolidated. The living of St. George's is a discharged rectory, with that of St. Paul's consolidated. The living of St. John the Baptist's is a rectory, with that of St. Clement's consolidated. The living of St. Mary's is a discharged vicarage. The church, which is supposed to have been built about the end of the 13th century, on the site of one erected so early as the Conquest, is considered the mother church of Stamford. The living of St. Michael's is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of St. Andrew's and the rectory of St. Stephen's consolidated.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Stamford St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stamford St Mary Online Parish Records|
|FMP Marr Index||1700-1837|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Lincolnshire Archives.
Material deposited at Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street,Lincoln,Lincolnshire,LN2 5AB,England Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org The website enables you to view a PDF file for all records held for each parish as part of continuing efforts to provide an online catalogue
The digitisation of parish records for the county now offers images via the Lincs to the past website (July 2011). Use advanced search terms at Search Lincs to the past to search for available images for parish registers and other records for this parish with images. Advance search terms Stamford St Mary Par 1 will identify available images.
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Stamford St Mary
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lincolnshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed: 27 August 2013.