St Paul’s Cray, Kent Genealogy
Guide to St Paul's Cray, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Paul’s Cray, Kent|
Former St Paul's Cray St Paulinus Kent
|Poor Law Union||Bromley|
|Parish registers: 1579|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1744|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CRAY, ST. PAUL'S (St. Paulinus), a parish, in the union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-hone, W division of Kent, 1 mile S from Foot's Cray. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
St Paul's Cray is now a district in the London Borough of Bromley, formerly a village and civil parish see St Paul's Cray Wikipedia
St Paul's Cray St Paulinus was an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Rochester. The church was built in the thirteenth century in the hundred of Ruxley. See Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 2 (1797), pp. 125-134. at British History Online and Kent Churches website
St Paul's Cray St Barnabas was formed from this parish and became the parish church when St Paulinus could not fulfil the needs of the developing parish.
The contraction of the London Docks lead to a movement to the area of a large traveller community from Bermondsey as well as the movement of the Irish descendants of traveller families.
The church was declared redundant by Order in Council 784 on 13 December 1995 and subsequently was acquired by the Redeemed Christian Church of God.
St Paul's Cray St Barnabas was built in 1962 see Kent Churches website
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church records[edit | edit source]
St Paul's Cray parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Paul's Cray Online Parish Records|
|FS BTs||1744-1754, 1801-1809, 1813-1825||1744-1754, 1801-1809, 1813-1825||1744-1754, 1801-1809, 1813-1825|
Deposited Parish registers are held at Bromley Archives reference P104 1580-1960
Bromley Central Library
Telephone: 020 8461 7170
Fax: 020 8466 7860
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
Images for Cray, St Paul are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1831( March 2012) Suggested revision of waypoint made.
These images are derived from 1987 microfilm at Kent Archives
Land tax assessments for St. Paul's Cray, 1780-1831 Family History Library BRITISH Film 1469937 Item 2.
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within the London Borough of Bromley, located adjacent to Orpington Station and on major bus routes through the borough.
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 717-720. Date accessed: 22 July 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 November 2013.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.