St Oswald in Lee, Northumberland Genealogy
Guide to St Oswald in Lee, Northumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Oswald in Lee, Northumberland|
|County||Northumberland, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Hexham|
|Parish registers: 1881|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of York in Hexham and Hexhamshire|
|Location of Archive|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LEE, ST. JOHN, a parish, in the union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 1½ mile (N. N. E.) from Hexham; There are chapels of ease at Bingfield and Wall.
St Oswald in Lee was created in 1733 from the parish of St John Lee, Northumberland Genealogy otherwise known as St John of Beverly an Ancient parish. The various parishes associated are listed below:
St Oswald in Lee, St Oswald: 1733-1879, 1888 (1888)
- Created from parts of St John Lee, St John of Beverley
- All to St Oswald in Lee with Bingfield St Mary 1879
- Reformed from parts of St Oswald in Lee with Bingfield St Mary 1888
- Daughter parishes/churches: [Wall, St George] 1897;
- Sometimes called "Heavenfield, St Oswald in Lee or "Wall, St Oswald in Lee"
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 13 August 2013.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
St Oswald in Lee, Northumberland Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS PRs = FamilySearch Parish Registers - free|
|St Oswald in Lee, Northumberland Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1920 England, Northumberland Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1920 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Resources[edit | edit source]
- St John Lee, St John of Beverly: Records of baptisms 1669-1961, marriages 1664-1983 and burials 1664-1983 are available at Northumberland Collections Service.
Bishops' Transcripts for the periods 1740-1744, 1751-1778 and 1780-1836 are deposited at the Borthwick Institute, University of York, and those for the period 1837-1858 are deposited at Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections, Reference number: DDR/EA/PBT/2/218 Date: 1837-1858. These parish register Transcripts can be viewed online in image collection St John Lee at FamilySearch Historical Records. The International Genealogical Index (I.G.I.) includes baptisms 1664-1836 (with gaps) and marriages 1664-1836 for this parish, and Boyd's Marriage Index includes marriages 1664 1812 and banns 1754-1812 for Lee Saint John Parish. Transcripts of baptisms, burials and marriages 1664-1812 are available at Newcastle Central Library, Local Studies Dept. Northumberland and Durham FHS publish a transcript of baptisms and burials 1664-1851, and marriages 1684-1851, arranged alphabetically (microfiche PR211).
- Bingfield, St Mary: There are no deposited registers or microfilm copies for this parish, but Bishops' Transcripts for 1773 only are deposited at the Borthwick Institute, University of York.
- St Oswald In Lee [Heavenfield], St Oswald: Records of marriages 1881-1992 are available at Northumberland Collections Service.
- Wall, St George: No deposited registers or microfilm copies.
- Transcripts of monumental inscriptions at St John Lee (microfiche TN89) and Heavenfield (microfiche TN79) are published by Northumberland and Durham Family History Society and these records are also available in book form at Newcastle Central Library, Local Studies Department.
Nonconformist Records[edit | edit source]
- Beaufront and Woodhead (Roman Catholic): Records of baptisms 1774-1796, marriages 1784-1795, deaths 1779-1796 are available at Northumberland Collections Service.
- Woodhead (Roman Catholic): Records of baptisms 1774-1796, marriages 1789-1795 and deaths 1776-1796 are available at Northumberland Collections Service.
FamilySearch Historical Records includes England, Durham Diocese, Marriage Bonds and Allegations - FamilySearch Historical Records
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Northumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Catalog. Accessed 19 January 2016.
Add any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.