St Lawrence Newland, Essex Genealogy
Guide to St Lawrence Newland, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Lawrence Newland, Essex|
S Lawrence Newland Essex
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Maldon|
|Parish registers: 1704|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
St Lawrence Newland or Lawrence (St.)-Newland, is a parish in Maldon district, Essex; on the estuary of the River Blackwater, 8½ miles ESE of Maldon railway station. The post town is Tillingham under Maldon.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
St Lawrence Newland parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|St Lawrence Newland Online Parish Records|
- Parish registers for St. Lawrence-Newland Microfilm of original records at the Essex Record Office, Chelmsford. Essex Record Office, Chelmsford, no.: D/P361/1/1-2A, 12-13.
- Baptisms, 1704-1772; marriages, 1705-1753; burials, 1704-1771. Baptisms, burials, 1766-1812. Marriages, 1754-1836. Marriage banns, 1941-1981. FHL BRITISH Film 1472679 Items 17-21
- Baptisms, 1704-1772; marriages, 1705-1753; burials, 1704-1771 (another filming). Marriages, 1754-1812 (another filming). FHL BRITISH Film 857057 Items 9 - 10
- Bishop's transcripts for St. Lawrence-Newland Microfilm copy of original at Essex Record Office in Chelmsford, England. Essex Record Office, Chelmsford, no.: D/CR 311.
- Baptisms, burials, 1800-1833, 1848-1870; marriages, 1800-1833, 1848. FHL BRITISH Film 1702557 Item 5
- Bishop's transcripts for St. Lawrence-Newland Microfilm of original records at the Guildhall Library, London.
- IN Copies of parish registers brought in at visitations, various dates / Church of England. Diocese of London.
- Baptisms, marriages, burials 1629-1631 (134th parish) FHL BRITISH Film 413720 Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1639-1640 (154th parish) FHL BRITISH Film 413721
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
St Lawrence Newland on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted 17 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 4 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.