St Laurence in Thanet, Kent Genealogy
Guide to St Laurence in Thanet, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Laurence in Thanet, Kent|
|Hundred||Ringslow or Isle of Thanet|
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Thanet|
|Parish registers: 1599|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1560|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LAURENCE, ST., a parish, in the union of the Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, ¾ of a mile W from Ramsgate. 
The first building used for worship in Ramsgate was St Laurence-in-Thanet, see Historic Buildings in Ramsgate Wikipedia. The Village and civil parish of St Lawrence-in-Thanet (note the significant difference in spelling) became part of Ramsgate. See Isle of Thanet Rural District Wikipedia for that part of the civil parish reorganisation. See also Ramsgate Wikipedia
The Ancient Parish of St Laurence is dedicated to the Roman Martyr Laurence, a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The church of St Lawrence, Ramsgate High Street, Ramsgate has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
St Laurence in Thanet parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|St Laurence in Thanet Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1562-1912||1562-1912||1559-1906; 1754-1850 (Banns)||1559-1906; 1754-1850 (Banns)||1559-1898||1559-1898|
Caution: Many entries known to be recorded in the parish register are not retrieved by FindMyPast's search engine.
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
- The images are identified as Kent Thanet, St.Lawrence (sic)
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 33-37. Date accessed: 20 May 2013.
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.