St Katherine Coleman, London Genealogy
London St Katherine Coleman ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Katherine Coleman, London|
|Hundred||London, Within the Walls|
|County||London, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||City of London|
|Registration District||London City|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629-31; 1665-67; 1802|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of London|
|Location of Archive|
|London Metropolitan Archives|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
- 1346 - first mentioned
- 1741 - church rebuilt
- 1926 - church demolished
1831 description[edit | edit source]
"St Katherine Coleman, the church of, is situated on the east side of Church Row, on the south side of Fenchurch Street about ten houses eastward of Mark Lane, with which it also communicates. It derives its name and addition from being dedicated to St Katherine, a virgin and martyr of Alexandria, and from being situated on a spot anciently called Coleman Haw. It is a very ancient rectory, as there are records of its being so in 1346. The old church was substantially repaired and a south aisle added in 1489, by Sir William White, then Lord Mayor of London. It escaped the great fire of 1666; but being very much out of repair, and much buried by the raising of the causeway in Fenchurch Street, it was pulled down in 1734, and the present church erected at the expense of the parish. It is a plain well-built church with a lofty nave, lighted with two rows of windows. The tower is square, and finished with embrasures, and the floor of the church is elevated several steps above the level of its surrounding churchyard.
"This church was originally in the patronage of the Dean of St Martin-le-Grand, and so continued till that religious house, with all its appurtenances, was annexed to the Abbey of Westminster, after which it fell to the ground, and the advowson was given by Queen Mary, in the first year of her reign, to the Bishop of London and his successors in that see for ever. The Advowson is still under the same patronage."
1848 parish description: St. Katherine, Coleman is a parish, of the city of London Within the Walls. The patron is the Bishop. It is a parish within the poor-law union of the City of London.
Also Known As[edit | edit source]
St Catherine Coleman is an alternative spelling of this parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census records[edit | edit source]
1541 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - The Parisshe of Saint Katheryn Colmansat British History Online
1564 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- St Katherine Coleman, Aldgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/218), Copy: FHL Film 2228700.
1577 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- 1576 London Subsidy Roll, St Katherine Colmans at Alan H. Nelson website (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/252)
- St Katherine Coleman, Aldgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/252); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
1582 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
1589 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
1625 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- St Katherine Coleman, Aldgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/549); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1628 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- St Katherine Coleman, Aldgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/565 Part 1 of 3); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
1638 Inhabitants List[edit | edit source]
1645 Subsidies[edit | edit source]
- St Katherine Coleman, Aldgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/590 Part 13); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
- St Katherine Coleman, Aldgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/595); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
1666 Hearth Tax[edit | edit source]
1692-1932 Land Taxes[edit source]
1695 Inhabitants Lists[edit source]
1821 Census[edit | edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Katherine Coleman fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, many residents left their wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury from the 1700s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Cemetery[edit | edit source]
- Transcripts of early St Katherine Coleman, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor[edit | edit source]
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Katherine Coleman')
References[edit | edit source]
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 129-170. Adapted. Date accessed: 18 December 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Katherine Coleman in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Katherine Coleman in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Katherine Coleman in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Katherine Coleman in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batch C040931, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- Batches M040931-M040932, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- Colin R. Chapman, Pre-1841 Censuses and Population Listings in the British Isles, 5th ed. (Dursley, U.K.: Lochin Publishing, 2002), 71.
- "About Archdeaconry Court of London Wills Index 1750-1800", British Origins, accessed 23 December 2011.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.