St Breock, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to St Breock, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Breock, Cornwall|
St Breock Church Cornwall
|County||Cornwall, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||St Columb Major|
|Registration District||St Columb|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Probate Court||A Peculiar of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BREOCK, ST. (St. Breoke), a parish, in the union of St. Columb Major, hundred of Pyder, E. division of Cornwall, 1 mile WSW from Wadebridge. There are a chapel of ease at Wadebridge; and places of worship in the parish for Independents, Wesleyans, and Bryanites.
St. Breock, also St. Breoke (Cornish: Nanssans) St Briocus is an Ancient Parish and dates back to the 13th century although it was extensively rebuilt in 1677.
The church has a battlemented tower with a ring of five bells. It is situated beside the stream in the valley bottom and in 1965 suffered damage in a major flood. The nave is longer than usual in a parish church: this may be connected to the fact that the Bishops of Exeter owned the manor of Pawton before the Reformation and had a palace there. The church contains some fine monuments to members of the Tredeneck family and one of 1598 to one of the Prideaux-Brunes. There is a brass probably also to a Tredeneck, ca. 1520.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
St Breock, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Breock, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|COPC||1851-1906||1561-1812, 1879-1909||1560-1605, 1644-1709, 1877-1938|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 19
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable websites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Websites[edit | edit source]
St Breoke in GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 357-362. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.