St. George, Conwy, Wales Genealogy
Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Denbighshire and, between 1874 and 1996 in the County of Clwyd, Wales Genealogy. In 1996 it became part of the modern County Borough of Conwy, Wales Genealogy.
History[edit | edit source]
"A parish, comprising the divisions of St.George and Meifod, in the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (SE) from Abergele, on the road to Holyhead, and containing 376 inhabitants. ..... The parish is bounded on the north by the Irish channel, and about three miles from the village is the port of Rhuddlan."
(A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833-1849, Samuel Lewis)
The parish is also known as Kegidog, or Cegidog. The name, St. George, is generally believed to have been derived from Saint Siôr - not to be confused with St. George of England.
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Cegidog Uchaf, Cegidog Isaf, Dinorben, and Meifod.
In 1873, part of the township of Cegidog Isaf went to the new parish of Towyn.
For more information see:
|St. George Parish|
|County bef 1974||add here|
|County 1 Apr 1974-31 Mar 1996||add here|
|County 1 Apr 1996 -||add here|
|Civ Reg District||St. Asaph (1881)|
|Reg Sub-district||Abergele (1881)|
|Probate Court||add here|
|Rural Deanery||add here|
|Poor Law Union||St Asaph|
Administration[edit | edit source]
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Conwy|
Records[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.