Sprowston, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Sprowston, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||St Faith's|
|Registration District||St Faiths|
|Parish registers: 1673|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SPROWSTON (St. Mary and St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of St. Faith, hundred of Taverham, E. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Norwich. Here is a place of worship for Baptists. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Sprowston St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Sprowston St Mary Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1673-1904||Undefined||1673-1915||Undefined||1673-1794, 1813-1902|
Sprowston St Cuthbert parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Sprowston St Cuthbert Online Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Sprowston on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 159-164. Date accessed: 10 June 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 February 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.