== Chapelry History ==
Torver St Luke was
an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1747 from chapelry in [[Ulverston St Mary, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish.<br>
Torver is a hamlet in the South Lakeland district of Cumbriasince 1974 ( historically in lancashire); three miles (5 km) south-west of the village of Coniston and a mile (0.5 km) to the west of Coniston Water <br>
TORVER, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Hawkeshead; containing 199 inhabitants. The manor of Torver, which takes its name from the river Torver, belongs to the noble owner of the liberties of Furness. '''The chapel was erected before 1661'''. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £59; patron, T. R. G. Braddyll, Esq. The interest of £200 was given by John Fleming, in 1777, in support of a free grammar school, for which a house has been built by subscription. The Baptists have a place of worship.
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 377-380. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51350 Date accessed: 31 July 2010.