Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
no edit summary
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]
== Parish Chapelry History == Add HALEWOOD, a general overview township, in the parish of Childwall, union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 8 miles (S. E. by E.) from Liverpool; containing 1101 inhabitants. It comprises 3759a. 3r., of generally level surface, and for the most part good strong corn-land, which has been much improved by drainage and the history application of manure. The Earl of Derby, and John Ireland Blackburne, Esq., are the chief owners of the soil. An antiquated and secluded building here, called The Hutte, or The Haut, was the abode of the Ireland family, lords of the place, who subsequently removed to Hale Hall. Halewood Farm is the residence of Robert Neilson, Esq.; Halewood Green, that of Spencer Steer, Esq.; and Woodside, that of Sidney Sherlock, Esq. Part of this parishtownship and part of Tarbock have been formed into an ecclesiastical district, of which the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Childwall, and endowed with £15 from the tithes of Childwall, £18 from Queen Anne's Bounty, and a rent-charge of £20 from the Earl of Derby: there is a good parsonage-house. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £61. 9. 4. payable to the vicar, £330 to the lessee of the Bishop of Chester, and £3. 9. 4. to the incumbent of Hale. The church, dedicated to '''St. It can be Michael''', was built in ''1839'', at a few sentences or cost of £1200, and was enlarged in 1847, at a couple cost of paragraphs£900; it is a cruciform structure in the early English style, with a very neat interior.<br>
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 372-379. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50998 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
== Resources ==
Moderator, Reviewer, editor, pagecreator
15,757

edits

Navigation menu