Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
no edit summary
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] St Katherine Coleman
 
== Parish History ==
St Katherine Coleman, the church of, is situated on the east side of Church Row, on the south side of Fenchurch Street about ten houses  eastward of Mark Lane, with which it also communicates. It derives its name and addition from beinf dedicated to St Katherine, a virgin and martyr of Alexandria, and from being situated on a spot anciently called Coleman Haw. It is a very ancient rectory, as there are records of its being so in 1346. The old church was substantially repaired and a south aisle added in 1489,b Sir William White, then Lord Mayor of London. It escaped the great fire of 1666; but being very much out of repair, and much buried by the raising of the causeway in Fenchurch Street, it was pulled down in 1734, and the present church erected at the expense of the parish. It is a plain well-built church with a lofty nave, lighted with two rows of windows. The tower is square, and finished with embrasures, and the floor of the church is elevated several steps abor the levelof its surrounding churchyard.
7,699

edits

Navigation menu