=== Parish History ===
BLACKBURN (St Mary), a '''parish''', fourteen miles in length and ten in breadth, was formerly part of [[Whalley, Lancashire|Whalley Parish]]. Blackburn is the head of a union, in the Lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the County of Lancaster; comprising the market-town and newly-enfranchised borough of Blackburn, which includes the chapelries of Balderston, Billington-Langho, Brownhill, Over Darwen, Salesbury, Samlesbury, and Tockholes, and the townships of Clayton-leDale, Cuerdale, Lower Darwen, Dinkley, Eccleshill, Great and Little Harwood, Livesey, Mellor, Osbaldeston, Pleasington, Ramsgrave, Rishton, Walton-le-Dale, Wilpshire, and Witton, 31 miles southeast by south from Lancaster.<ref>Samuel A.
Lewis, ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50805#s4 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 270-275.Greatly adapted. Date accessed: 25 June 2010.</ref>
Researchers may view a [[Comprehensive List of Blackburn Chapelries and Parish|Comprehensive List of Chapels in Blackburn St Mary Parish]]. A chapel also dedicated to St Clement has been erected; and the Vicar likewise presents to the incumbencies of Balderstone, Bamber-Bridge, Billington-Langho, Lower and Over Darwen, Feniscowles, Great Harwood, Mellor, Mellor-Brook, Salesbury, Samlesbury, Tockholes, Walton, and Witton. In the town are places of worship for '''Baptists''', the '''Society of Friends''', '''Independents''', '''Wesleyans''', '''Primitive Methodists''', and '''Warrenites''', also a '''Scottish kirk''' and a '''Roman Catholic''' chapel; and in the rural parts of the parish are various other meeting-houses for different denominations. The union of Blackburn comprises the entire parish, with the exception of the townships of Cuerdale, Samlesbury, and Walton, which are in the union of Preston; together with four townships of the parish of Whalley.