Jump to navigation Jump to search
Text replacement - "=== Probate records ===" to "=== Probate Records ==="
''{{breadcrumb| link1=[[England Genealogy|England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] | link2=[[London , England Genealogy|London]] | link3=[[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London Parishes|London Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[St_Michael_Royal_with_St_Martin_Vintry| link4=|link5=St Michael Royal with St Martin Vintry]]'' }}
'''London St Michael Royal with St Martin Vintry''' ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
| County = London
| Hundred = London, Within the Walls
| Poor Law Union = [ City of London]
| Registration District = London City
| PRbegin = 1558; Separate registers exist for St Martin Vintry beginning 1617
=== Parish History ===
[[Image:{{LondonStMartinVintryChurchSite}}]]"St Michael Royal with St Martin Vintry,the church of, stands on the eastern side of College Hill, Upper Thames Street. It derives its name from its patron saint and from its contguity contiguity to the Tower Royal, that stood anciently at the upper or northern end of College Hill. It was a spacious, strongly fortified and magnificent mansion, belonging to the kings of England and supposed to have been founded by Henry I. The church... has been a rectory from a very ancient date, and the patronage was in the prior and Canon's of Canterbury as early as 1285... Field church was pulled down and rebuilt in 1410, when my by license from Henry IV, it was made collegiate of the Holy Spirit and St. Mary... Contiguous to this new College, which gave its name to its site, he also erected and founded an alms house, which he called "God's house" (hence the addition Paternoster), or" hospital" for the accommodation of 13 persons... [see Mercer's Alms Houses and Whittington College]
<br>"[This church is] one of the 13 peculiars&nbsp;within the city, belonging to the Archbishop of that see. The ancient church, college and alms houses, were all consumed by the great fire of 1666, and the present edifice erected in its stead, by Sir Christopher Wren in 1694.&nbsp; It was made parochial for this parish and for that of St. Martin's Vintry, the church of which was also destroyed by the same fire and the two parishes united by an act of parliament [see St. Martin Vintry].
"The spacious and well proportioned church is a fine piece of construction and well wrought masonry...&nbsp; The interior is a large capacious all...; is 86 feet long, 48 broad, and 40 high, and lighted by a series of lofty semicircular edit windows.&nbsp; These united parishes form one rectory, in the city of London, in the province of Canterbury, and as one of the 13 peculiars of that see, within the city, is exempt from archidiaconal jurisdiction.&nbsp; They are under the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury for St. Michael Royal and of the Bishop of Worcester...&nbsp; For St. Martin Vintry."<ref>James Elmes, ''A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs'' (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by [ Google Books].</ref>
After the Great Fire of London (1666), St Martin Vintry Parish united with St Michael Paternoster Royal Parish.<ref name="dunn">Phillip B. Dunn, ''A Guide to Ancestral Research in London'' (Salt Lake City, Utah: Mountainland Printing and Marketing, c1987, 1992), 58-59. {{FHL|579061|item|disp=FHL Book 942.1/L1 D27d}}.</ref>
'''1848 parish description'''<br>'''St. Michael Pater-noster Royal '''with '''St. Martin Vintry''', are parishes of the city of London Within the Walls. The patron is the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and the Bishop of Worcester, alternately. They are parishes within the poor-law union of the City of London.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [ ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 129-170. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 December 2013.</ref><br><br>
These parishes were part of [[Vintry Ward, London, England|Vintry Ward]]. St Michael Royal also belonged to [[Dowgate Ward, London, England|Dowgate Ward]]. It was also known as St Michael Paternoster Parish, as well as St Michael Paternoster Royal Parish.<br>
St Martin Vintry Parish Church has been demolished.
=== Church records ===
==== St Martin Vintry Parish ====
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use [ England Jurisdictions 1851]. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
=== Census records ===
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [ FreeBMD].
=== Probate records Records ===
{{Londonwill|St Martin Vintry Parish}}

Navigation menu